Band Camp Information Form
If you intend to be a member of the Pride of Niner Nation Marching Band in fall 2021, please fill out the Band Camp Information Form. Please complete this form by 5pm on July 14, 2021.
BAND CAMP DATES
Student Leadership: Wednesday, August 11, 2021 - Saturday, August 14th, 2021
Colorguard/Twirler and Drumline: Friday, August 13, 2021 - Sunday, August 22nd, 2021
Winds and Brass: Sunday, August 15, 2021 - Sunday, August 22nd, 2021
EARLY HOUSING MOVE-IN
Students Living On Campus
Check in for Housing is at your dorm or the loan key desk assigned to you by Housing
- Drum Majors and Band Managers - Sunday, August 8, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- All Remaining Student Leaders & Field Crew - Wednesday, August 11, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. IMPORTANT NOTE - STUDENTS WITH FALL ASSIGNMENTS IN MILTIMORE WILL INITIALLY GO INTO A TEMP SPACE AND THEN MOVE INTO MILTIMORE ON AUGUST 13
- Colorguard/Twirler and Drumline - Friday, August 13, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- All Remaining Students - Sunday, August 15, 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. (Before moving in, please check in with the band at the Johnson Band Center in the morning)
Students Living Off Campus
If you live off campus, please make arrangments to move in prior to your first band camp date. If your off-campus space/apartment absolutely will not allow you to move in prior to your band camp start date, please contact Jennifer Anderson no later than July 16, 2021 to determine what other accomodations can be made for you until you are allowed to move in.
PRESEASON BAND CAMP GUIDE:
The "Preseason Band Camp Packet" and two important forms are below. Please complete the two forms and bring to Preseason Band Camp check-in.
Most uniform accessories will be available for purchase from the Marching Band Online Store.
- All-Black Dress Pants (full-length with belt loops, Example)
- Black Belt (Plain with no design or embellishment, Example)
- Black Socks (Shin or knee-length - No Ankle Socks)
- Purchase your marching band shoes for the season in our online store. Shoe purchases must be made online by Sunday, August 8, 2021. (All members must have a pair of clean, all black marching band shoes. You may use a pair from a previous season as long as they are in good condition)
PRESEASON BAND CAMP ESSENTIAL
1. Athletic Running Shoes (no sandals)
3. Ball Cap or Wide-Brimmed Hat (Not your PNNMB Ball Cap)
4. Khaki Shorts (tan-colored shorts for pep rallies)
5. 1/2 gallon Water Bottle or Hydration Backpack
6. Sunscreen & Bug Repellant
7. Comfortable Clothes
8. Alarm Clock
9. Any Medication you may need.
10. All students must purchase their own reeds, as well as any instrument maintenance supplies (cork grease, slide grease, valve oil, etc.).
11. All woodwinds and brass students must purchase their own BLACK flip folio/folder, 20 folio/folder pages, and instrument lyre prior to arriving at band camp. Drumline and Cologuard DO NOT need to purchase these items. Use these companies to purchase these items: (www.mccormicksnet.com, www.bandshoppe.com, www.wwbw.com, Piccolos – Piccolo Lyre) Extra pages can be purchased from the band as needed at MARCHING BAND STORE
a. Those students borrowing a school-owned instrument will be provided a lyre for their instrument. Students will responsible for the cost if the lyre has been misplaced.
NEW TO UNC CHARLOTTE?
Incoming freshmen and transfer students must register for and attend Student Orientation, Advising & Registration (SOAR) before the first day of Preseason Band Camp of the year in which they intend to march. If you have not registered for a SOAR session, you should do so immediately.
CAN I JOIN THE BAND IF I DON'T ATTEND UNC CHARLOTTE?
Yes! It is possible for students who do not attend UNC Charlotte to participate, but they must attend one of the participating institutions of the Greater Charlotte Consortium. There is an application that must be completed and approved by the student's home institution and UNC Charlotte.
Students are required to enroll in the marching band class (MUPF 1118). This includes students participating through the Greater Charlotte Consortium.
HOW DO I GET A PRESEASON BAND CAMP PACKET?
The Preseason Band Camp Packet is sent to all prospective and returning band members via email. It is also linked above.
WHAT DO I DO WHEN I ARRIVE FOR PRESEASON BAND CAMP?
Report to the check-in location as indicated in the Preseason Band Camp Packet. Please note that the report date may vary depending on your instrument and/or membership status.
WHY DO WE HAVE A PRESEASON BAND CAMP?
To achieve excellence, we must be able to execute the fundamentals of marching and playing at a very high level. Because we learn and perform multiple halftime shows in addition to a unique pregame show, everyone must be able to learn and refine new shows quickly and efficiently. Preseason Band Camp provides members, new and returning, the opportunity to get into shape physically, mentally and musically so that we can work together to produce exciting performances. The emphasis is on fundamentals, but we will also be learning music and drill maneuvers for the season ahead. The quality of our Preseason Band Camp has a lot to do with the success of our season.
WHAT WILL THE SCHEDULE FOR PRESEASON BAND CAMP BE LIKE?
The normal daily schedule for Preseason Band Camp is as follows:
Marching Fundamentals & Drill (Practice Field)
12:00 p.m.–1:30 p.m.
Lunch Break - Provided by the Band
|1:30–3:30 p.m.||Sectionals (Robinson Hall or outside)|
|3:30–5:30 p.m.||Full Band Indoor Music Rehearsal (Belk Theater in Robinson Hall)|
|5:30–7 p.m.||Dinner Break - Provided by the Band|
|7–9 p.m.||Marching Fundamentals & Drill (Practice Field)|
*This is only a sample schedule. Please refer to the Preseason Band Camp Packet for full details. We make every effort to use this time in a productive and efficient manner.
WHAT IF I HAVE TO ATTEND ORIENTATION AND REGISTRATION DURING PRESEASON BAND CAMP?
For all New OR Transfer students, you will be required to attend SOAR (the univerisity's orientation and registration program). If you have not yet registered for this orientation program, please try to avoid Monday, August 16th and Tuesday, August 17th (due to our preseason band camp schedule). Please communicate with Mr. Dan Fischer if you have any questions or concerns.
WHAT ABOUT MEDICAL APPOINTMENTS?
You will be excused from rehearsal for important medical appointments, but please make every effort to schedule these so as not to interfere with Preseason Band Camp.
WHAT ABOUT MEALS DURING PRESEASON BAND CAMP?
You will be provided with two meals per day during Preseason Band Camp. This will be in the form of meal swipes on your 49er Card that you can use in SoVi (South Village) or Crown Commons dining hall during the meal times of your choosing (but limited to the schedule below). These meal swipes will not carry over to the fall semester, and you must use them before the beginning of the semester. Some retail locations will also be open for you to pay by cash/credit/debit, but locations and times will be limited.
SoVi and Crown Commons will be open during the following times during Preseason Band Camp: Times will be released in the upcoming months!
Due to the rigorous physical activity involved in our Preseason Band Camp, all students are CAUTIONED against missing regular nutritious meals. It is IMPERATIVE that you eat well balanced meals three times a day.
For university meal plans and dining accounts (fall and spring) contact Auxiliary Services.
WHERE WILL I BE STAYING DURING PRESEASON BAND CAMP?
Members who will live on campus will either move into their fall space early, or first be placed into temporary housing and will then transition to into their residence hall at a later date (during Preseason Band Camp). Important information concerning residence hall move-in is contained in the Preseason Band Camp Packet.
Please remember that you will move into a residence hall ONLY if you have secured a room for the fall semester. We will help coordinate your early move-in, but do not formally arrange fall housing. You must secure your own contract for housing through UNC Charlotte Housing & Residence Life.
Membership in PNNMB DOES NOT guarantee you a residence hall room. If you have not yet applied for housing through Housing & Residence Life, do so immediately. We can only facilitate early move-in for students who have made their own arrangements for on-campus housing.
If you live in off-campus housing, those arrangements are left to you. Be sure to communicate with your landlord and/or roommates.